A vegan classic, everybody loves a good pulled jackfruit burger. Although I've been making these for some time now, it occurred to me that I haven't shared my recipe with you yet – so here it is!
This is a super-simple one-pot job, which means you can make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for a rainy day. Having said that, it's perfect for summer or winter – whatever the season, it's always a winner.
The slaw I make with this includes a classic apple-and-celery combo. It offers a sweet crunch, and a cooling contrast to the soft and spicy jackfruit. Delicious!
For the jackfruit
1 tbsp light oil, such as groundnut
1 onion, finely diced
2 fat cloves garlic, finely grated
2 tsp ground cumin
⅛-¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp liquid smoke
1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 x 400g tins jackfruit pieces, drained
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
¼ cup good quality BBQ sauce
1 tsp salt
Good grinding of black pepper
For the slaw
1 sharp green apple, sliced into matchsticks
1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
2 sticks celery, thinly sliced
½ red onion, thinly sliced
1 heaped tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp vegan Worcester sauce
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup vegan mayo
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook, stirring regularly, until soft and translucent. Add the grated garlic, and cook for a further minute.
2. Add in the cumin, cayenne, paprika, tomato purée, liquid smoke, tamari and ketchup, and cook for a further minute.
3. Add the jackfruit pieces and stir to combine, breaking it down with a wooden spoon as you go. Once everything is well combined, add the chopped tomatoes and BBQ sauce and stir to combine.
4. Cook gently for about 20-30 mins, until the sauce has reduced and thickened up nicely. Stir in the salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper, check the seasoning, and adjust if needed.
5. Meanwhile, add all the ingredients for the slaw to a serving bowl, stir together until well combined, and set aside.
6. When you're ready to serve, warm up your buns in the oven to lightly crisp the inside, and prepare your fillings. Fill each toasted bun with jackfruit and top with slaw, then let everyone choose which additional toppings they like. Make sure napkins are to hand for when things get messy, and tuck in!
Are you feeling passionate about plant-based food? Sign up to the NOURISH newsletter today, and get exclusive access to inspiring recipes, product news, and plant-based tips, delivered straight to your inbox.