This a recipe I am very fond of and make often using different toppings such as puff pastry or mashed potatoes. Here for a change, I made a cheesy, herby crumb.
I also using various fillings such as mushrooms, carrots, sometimes I add a cupful of frozen peas.
It‘s incredibly satisfying and comforting, a great family mid-week meal that is super tasty and meat free.
I used Like Meats Vegan Chicken Bites and they give the perfect meaty texture you are looking for, especially when transitioning into a plant based Diet, or just having meat free days.
360g Like Meat Chicken pieces
3-4 medium leeks sliced
2 heaped tbs vegan butter
2 fat garlic cloves grated
4 tbs plain flour or GF blend
175ml white wine (optional)
Small bunch fresh Tarragon
1 tbs whole grain mustard
700ml good organic vegetable stock
100ml oat cream (Optional)
30g nutritional yeast
A good pinch of salt and lots of freshly ground black pepper
200g stale bread I used sourdough
Leaves from 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 garlic glove roughly chopped
60g nutritional yeast
30g vegan parm homemade or shop bought
1 tsp salt
Good grind black pepper
1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1. In a large pan add the butter, leeks and the leaves from a few sprigs of tarragon roughly chopped. Cook gently until soft and buttery, add the garlic and cook for a further minute or two.
2. Add in the flour and stir to combine, turn up the heat and keep stirring to cook out the flour. When the pan is hot add in the whine and continue to stir until evaporated and thickened. Now add in the stock in 3 parts, continuing to stir until fully combined. It will gradually thicken up.
3. Add back into the pan your “chicken” pieces, the whole grain mustard, oat cream if using, nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Continue to cook gently for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Pre heat the oven to 180°C Fan.
5. Add all the ingredients except the oil to a bowl and blitz to form crumbs with a stick blender or use a food processor.
6. When the filling is ready taste for seasoning and add in a few more tarragon leaves roughly chopped. Empty into a baking dish. Top with the breadcrumbs and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
7. Bake until golden and bubbling about 20-30 minutes.
8. Serve with greens, peas, or green salad.
Are you feeling passionate about plant-based food? Sign up to the NOURISH newsletter today, and get exclusive access to inspiring recipes, product news, and plant-based tips, delivered straight to your inbox every month!